Hotmail email accounts are the easiest and most hacked email service provider. You should be aware that your Hotmail email account is easily hacked. Recently, 10,000 Hotmail email accounts have been hacked, and the 10,000 accounts have been listed publicly online with all the account names and passwords. According to Microsoft, the owners of Hotmail stated that the causes of the email attacks were due to a phishing scheme. Basically what this means is that the name and passwords were stolen through an email that allows you to steal your password. You can prevent your Hotmail account from being hacked by following these simple steps:
1. Do not log into your Hotmail account on any public computer or internet cafe. These computers are a haven for hackers, because they allow programs to run in the background without you knowing how to steal your password. Also, most public computers don’t have any antivirus software, so viruses have easy access to your computer, leaving you at risk of attack.
2. Don’t have simple or one-word passwords. Passwords that are simple or have passwords less than 11 characters can be easily hacked. This is because they can be hacked by brute force going through a large dictionary to get into your email account. Therefore, when creating your password, make sure it is at least 11 characters long and mix them with numbers. For example, hu87hs65hna. Make sure you remember!
3. Do not use the same password twice. If they somehow get your password, all your other accounts, like your bank account, can be hacked with the same password.
4. Ideally, change passwords monthly. If someone gets your account in any way, you can stop it immediately when it changes monthly.
5. Use antivirus software such as McAfee or Norton’s Security to protect yourself from viruses. Some viruses can capture your password, so these prevention measures are a good measure.
6. Don’t have passwords visible anywhere on your computer. If you have your account name and password in a one-word file, your password may be stolen. Keep it private!