Toss in the fruitcake and candy canes! For years, the idea of giving or receiving food has left people shocked and horrified. But there is no need to lift your nose at that thought! Giving perishable gifts at Christmas is a common Christmas tradition that can really be enjoyed by both the giver and the recipient. And sending baskets of fruit, cakes or pastries has always been a part of the holiday season. Although the idea of the perishable gift has been widely mocked, there are several gifts that people still love to receive from this semi-taboo category. Take advantage of this list and don’t be surprised by the amount of compliments you receive. For every rule there is an exception, and with such delicious gifts you will be happy to break the rules.
- Gourmet coffee – Ditch your grocery store branding and head to specialty stores to make this gift a hit. You may even have to travel a little further than your local Starbucks, but don’t lose your mind! Gourmet coffee sets and accessories are prized in today’s caffeine-driven world. The aromatic flavor of freshly ground coffee beans invigorates the spirit and enlivens the mind with a gentle boost. Some studies even suggest that a little coffee a day helps wake up the brain enough to help prevent age-associated memory disorders. What could not be loved? Try creating your own gift set with flavored coffee, agave syrup, and a reusable ceramic “Not A Paper Cup.”
- Specialty tea – Tea has gained a great revitalizing movement in recent years. Specialty tea shops can now be found in many malls, with all the variety of accessories, from strainers to tea sets for one. No longer the best choice for the English, a special tea gift basket is now a coveted holiday gift. When making your tea selections, be sure to combine different varieties of tea (white, green, black, or red). Great accessories include infusers, tea-specific travel mugs, and honey-dipped spoons.
- Chocolates – Truffles, fudge and decorated treats! Chocolates that excite both your eyes and your taste buds are the perfect gift for those with a Christmas sweet tooth. A delicious variety and a beautiful box are all you need. Not everyone has time to bake, and very few have the knack of making cookies and candy look like professional little masterpieces. Go to your local chocolatier and feast on delicacies of all shapes, sizes, and flavors. With the right box or ribbon wrapped package, this gift is a coveted choice!
- Wine – Aged to perfection, a good bottle of wine brings together a whole meal, as well as the people who share it. With a bottle of wine as an accompanying gift, you’ll never be left empty-handed. The best part is, you don’t need to open and share the bottle right away, but you can if you want to! Go the extra mile and include a few accessories with your bottle to make the gift a complete package. Consider aerators, wine glass charms, decorated stoppers, and easy-open corkscrews as accents for the perfect wine glass.
- Biscuits – She certainly made an amazing array of cookies for the holiday season. Save yourself the hassle of expanding your waistline and offer some of your delicacies as gifts to neighbors and co-workers. They are the perfect thoughtful gift without adding any extra effort to your plate. This is the ideal gift to share with acquaintances, unlike close friends. A decorated plate wrapped in colorful plastic wrap and a ribbon can be adorned with a sample of the many delicious cookies your family baked this year.