Continuing with our “Why Social Media” series … we want to start with some of the important points to keep in mind when creating (or reviewing!) Your social media strategy.
First, be really consistent. Pick just a couple of platforms and post them regularly; and keep your posts balanced (promotion / creation / curation). It is important to really understand your customers / prospects and post the correct number of updates per day to be the most important, but not a hassle.
Second, don’t post all of your posts about yourself, and only about yourself. The example I always give is that of a networking event, your social media channel should not be a channel for you to speak to yourself. Like a networking event, you are effective when you ask questions of those around you, interact with and learn about them. Social media is no different. Poll your followers, ask questions, and answer the answers (even just a thank you!).
Here are our top 5 reasons why you shouldn’t wait another day to implement a social media strategy for your business:
- Search engine optimization – SEO is a method to get more traffic to your website for free, in an organic / natural way of influencing search results in search engines. Also, including social media in your SEO strategy (keeping in mind that your “about” section on Facebook is searchable) can lead to link building; As people share your posts on social media, and your post includes a link to your website, the connections between your social media platforms and the website are strengthened.
Since search engines like links and love keywords, social media can play an influential role in your overall strategy to improve your rankings. While there are multiple social media channels available to businesses, we recommend choosing two or three social media to post regularly and doing it really well. Do a little research on the user metrics of the different platforms and find the ones that resonate not only with your brand, but also with your target market. Bear in mind that some people search for products / companies within a social network, not necessarily on Google, so having a presence on the platform positively influences the probability that they will find you.
- Greater brand recognition – By using more channels to expand your brand, you will have greater brand recognition. Add to this the shared photos of your loyal followers, and your brand reach will grow as well.
- Improved brand loyalty – companies that are active have active followers, they feel more personal and more connected. Social media gives you the place for superior customer service, listening and responding to your potential customers, which gives your brand a face. Customer service is only about responding to complaints, but also about answering product questions to facilitate decision-making between your product and that of the competition (increasing your ability to convert leads into sales). Social media can also create a community around your brand and your products further enhancing brand loyalty.
- Increase in inbound traffic – By using more channels to spread your message, you can reach a wider audience, which in turn generates more clicks on your website. Add a lead magnet to the mix, and you’re collecting and qualifying even more leads!
- Decrease in marketing costs. – Digital ads (even paid) are cheaper than print. Plus, by using Facebook’s built-in metrics, it’s easier to A / B test and track your campaigns, as well as tweak your posts if the results don’t align with your goals. This can lead to a richer customer experience and service (building a community around your product).
And one last bonus tip: Social Media Marketing takes time, not just in creating amazing content, but in terms of results as well. While we’ve all seen those posts go viral and pages that consequently gain a ton of new followers, most businesses see a slow and steady increase in followers with a well-considered and consistent strategy.