“Viewing Notes

Double glazing

Double glazing provides better thermal insulation and better sound insulation in the colder winter months in the UK.


Gas or electricity: the ‘pre-payment card’ method of electricity is relatively expensive.

Interior furnishings

Try to find a house with basic furnishings, otherwise it will be more expensive to buy new furniture yourself and you will need to get rid of it when you move.

Appliances in the kitchen

The average house kitchen is provided with appliances such as a cooker, oven, fridge, microwave and some even provide an electric kettle and toaster. Smoke exhaust fans in UK kitchens are generally designed for less greasy western food, so be sure to close the smoke trap door when frying, otherwise the sensitive fire alarm system is likely to attract a fire-fighter, which would be embarrassing and could result in a fine in serious cases.

Washing machines

If you don’t have one, you will need to go to the outside laundry room.

Bathroom facilities

If there are 4, 5 or even more people living together, it would be more convenient to have two bathrooms in the house.

Whether the landlord is reliable and trustworthy

Generally if the school provides a list of Leeds student accommodation properties with landlords who have been with the school for a long time, they will be relatively reliable.

Housing environment

Whether the neighbourhood is safe, whether there is a supermarket or convenience store, whether it is easily accessible, how close it is to the school, etc.

Security deposit

The deposit is usually 1-2 months’ rent, to be paid before renting but whether it is fully refundable at the time of surrender.

Electricity, water, gas, telephone, internet, TV licence etc.

Most houses do not include these fees, so it is important to find out from your landlord how to pay these fees, what the starting date is, how to share the fees with your co-tenant and how to keep the house clean.

Council Tax

If all the tenants are students, they are exempt from paying council tax.

Summer Price

Discounts may be available during the summer months.

Signing an agreement

Once you have decided to move in, you will need to sign an agreement with your landlord or agent and pay a deposit. Under UK law, the tenancy agreement must be for a minimum of six months. Within six months, the landlord must be given one month’s notice if the tenancy is withdrawn. The student accommodation Leeds agreement should include: the date the tenancy starts; the price of the rent; the date the tenancy expires; whether the tenant’s tenancy is fixed; the date the rent will be reviewed; the frequency of payments (weekly, monthly or yearly); the relevant furniture and services the landlord can provide, such as appliance repairs; and the period of notice required if either party wishes to terminate the contract early.

UK law requires the landlord to provide an agreement containing the above information within 28 days or the landlord will face a fine.

Moving out of a property

When moving out of a rented property, remove personal belongings and rubbish, clean the property as required by the landlord (generally required to be in a hygienic condition ready for re-letting), return the room to the condition it was in when you viewed it, pay any utilities etc. due to ensure the return of the deposit and avoid deductions for cleaning costs.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *